Information needed

Acceptable verification documents 

All documents should be emailed to

Proof of Identification

South African Citizen 
  • A valid South African issued Identity card OR green bar-coded identity document

    If not available
  • A valid South African driver's licence* or
  • A valid South African passport*
    *subject to approval by, and must be accompanied by an affidavit confirming why identity card or Green bar-coded ID cannot be provided

Foreign National

  • Valid passport bearing passport number and photograph
  • Second means of verification i.e. drivers license
  • Asylum seekers / refugees must submit a valid passport / unexpired section 22 or section 24 permit as well as a valid Maroon refugee identity document. 
Proof of Physical Residential Address

Document which must reflect name/initials and surname, physical address or property descriptions (i.e. erf/stand numbers) and must be less than 3 months old

A list of valid FICA documents that can be used to verify physical residential address is detailed below: 
  • A utility bill, such as water, electricity or rates (less than 3 months) We may accept a utility bill that are addressed to a post box number if it shows your name, erf/stand number, township and suburb
  • A bank statement or financial statement from a financial institution (less than 3 months old)
  • A copy of a signed lease agreement (by both parties), (less than 1 year old)
  • A municipal rates and taxes invoice (less than 3 months old)
  • A mortgage statement from another financial institution, (less than 6 months old)
  • A telephone account, ie. a land–line or cellphone account (less than 3 months old)
  • An official tax return/tax assessment (less than 1 year old)
  • Official correspondence from the South African Revenue Services ("SARS") (less than 3 months old)
  • A recent life insurance policy issued by an insurance company
  • Correspondence from a body corporate or share–block association (less than 3 months old)
  • A valid television license document
  • A recent short–term insurance policy document or a short–term insurance renewal letter (less than 1 year old)
  • A retail account statement/invoice (less than 3 months old)
  • Where the person live in any type of residence (eg. hostel/barracks) a letter from the administration department of such residence on an official letterhead
Problems with Proof of Physical AddressIt may be the case that you do not have one of the suitable "proof of address" documents listed above with your name on it.

This is usually the case where you may be l
iving with another person who is the homeowner such as a spouse, parent, sibling, life-partner

In these situations, you will need to provide "Proof of Residential" address by emailing us the following documents:

    • A document from the list of valid FICA documents in the row above, less than 3 months old, reflecting:

      • The name/initials and surname of the person you live with (Ie. spouse, parent, sibling, life-partner etc.)
      • The physical address or property descriptions (i.e. erf/stand numbers)
    • A copy of the identity document of the person you live with (Ie. spouse, parent, sibling, life-partner etc.)
    • The "Confirmation of address" form - available HERE - completed and signed by the person you live with (Ie. spouse, parent, sibling, life-partner etc.)

Student Accommodation
If you are a student residing at a student residence, hostel or boarding house and are unable to provide proof from the homeowner, please send the following:

  • A written statement from the educational institution or the residence, hostel or boarding house (on a formal letterhead) confirming your residence at the physical address of such residence, OR
  • The attached "Confirmation of address" form, completed and signed by a representative of the educational institution, together with a proof of their identity
Proof of Tax Reference NumberPLEASE NOTE:

This is ONLY applicable to individuals opening a USD account.

For an individual opening such an account we require a SARS Document containing the individual's:
  • Name
  • Surname
  • Income Tax number